Green Lane

Parish Tour Events Clubs Churches P.Council History Services Days Out

Green Lane is a collection of houses built mainly in the 1920's and 30's when farming times were hard..  Sydney Wills (Dick Will's father) named the first building "Green Lane Bungalow" because the lane was always green in the middle and hence Narracombe or Woodhouse Lane, as it was then known, became "Green Lane". The main item of interest is the old lime kiln, restored in 2004.

 

The lime kiln at Narracombe has been recently restored in memory of Dick Wills. The plaque reads 'a great friend truly missed' and this could be said by anyone who knew him.

The lime kiln at Narracombe probably dates back to when the land was cleared from woodland many hundreds of years ago. It is unusual to see a kiln so far from a limestone quarry, but when it takes 4 tonnes of oak to make enough charcoal to burn 1 tonne of lime, it made sense to make use of the wood that they were clearing. The date when it was last used as a kiln is not known, but its concave roof was then removed, the walls were raised and a roof and loft floor fitted making it a small "tallet" (as Dick would say). Hay was stored above and seed potatoes below until it fell into disrepair.

 

The above information is from an article by Erica Williams in the Parish Magazine May 2005.

 

Parish Tour Events Clubs Churches P.Council History Services Days Out