Haytor Vale

Parish Tour Events Clubs Churches P.Council History Services Days Out
 
Until the early 19th century, Haytor Vale was a smallholding of Smallacombe Farm called Kennapark Wells.  In 1826 George Templer of Stover arranged for the construction of a row of cottages to house quarry workers and the Rock Inn was also built at the same time. In the 1900's several houses designed by the architect T.H. Lyon were built. 
A footpath known as the Church Path, leads through mature beech woodland to Smallacombe and on through Trumpeter to Ilsington parish church.  The entrance to the old iron mine can be found after a short walk along the path that runs down the combe, just before a fork and a turnstile.  Between the 1850's and about 1910 many thousands of tons of iron ore were taken from this mine In its most productive years it employed over 80 workers.