Liverton

Parish Tour Events Clubs Churches P.Council History Services Days Out

 

In the 19th century, Henry Beare, an agricultural engineer,built a foundry here, thinking that the London-Penzance railway line would pass this way.  When he realised his mistake, he moved his business to Newton Abbot and a pottery took over the Liverton site.  This became the Devonmoor Art Pottery which employed some 40 persons until its closure in the 1950's.  In 2002 the pottery was converted into housing and additional housing built.