|The name is derived from 'Tromptsmede', meaning the meadow of
one called Trump. In the 19th century, this area was alive with tin and
copper mines. The house shown on the right-hand side of the picture was originally offices
for the Atlas mining company. In the field behind these houses was a large
water wheel. A few yards along the track to Smallacombe farm was the entrance to
a large mine whilst, in the other direction, halfway up the lane to Lewthorne
Cross was the Atlas Mine. In the valley, to the right hand side of the
lane towards Middlecott, was the burning house, built with stones from the
Haytor Granite Railway. This mine worked from the 1850's until 1903.
Local residents recall that the sound of the stamps crushing the ore
could be heard throughout the valley. Iron Ore was also mined here.
These remains are all on private land and are dangerous - no access